There are a few letters in the alphabet that get overlooked, but you can’t have a cool animals list without the letter U! With this list of Animals that start with letter U, there’s beautiful interesting creatures along with ones you may have not known existed. And now, you can not only learn neat facts about those critters, but you’ll also get the inside scoop on their Genus(1) and Species(2) along and keep your eyes open for fun and cute Animal Coloring Sheets!
So let’s get to it, U won’t believe the animals we have in store!
Amphibians that Start with the letter U
Although the list of amphibians that start with the letter U isn’t very long, it is still very much worth listing. Especially for this cute little guy, the Upland Chorus Frog!
We have a strong feeling that if frogs enjoyed music, this Upland Chorus Frog’s go-to song on Karaoke night would be Escape (The Piña Colada Song) by Rupert Holmes because this froggy loves to sing out its calls only after it has rained. These sheepish ittsy bittsy Upland Chorus Frogs are found throughout the Southeast states of the U.S. and may be hard to spot due to their small, less than an inch and a half, size. (3)
- Upland Chorus Frog (Pseudacris feriarum)
- Uluguru African Caecilian (Boulengerula uluguruensis)
Birds that Start with the letter U
Sometimes you look at an animal in the vast animal kingdom and you think “Ah, so this is where Dr. Seuss got his inspiration from!” That’s where we introduce you to the curiosity that is the Umbrella Bird.
These unique tropical birds can be found within 3 different species, but all have the distinct feature atop their little birdy head. Unlike other fellow birds, the Umbrella Bird more so prefers to hop around their habitat of branches rather then flying. (4) It’s not that the Umbrella Bird cannot fly, but you’ve tried to operate a car or bike when you can hair in your face; it’s a bit challenging!
- Ua Pou Monarch (Pomarea mira)
- Udzungwa Forest Partridge (Xenoperdix udzungwensis)
- Uganda Woodland Warbler (Phylloscopus budongoensis)
- Ultramarine Flycatcher (Ficedula superciliaris)
- Ultramarine Grosbeak (Cyanoloxia brissonii)
- Ultramarine Kingfisher (Todiramphus leucopygius)
- Ultramarine Lorikeet (Vini ultramarina)
- Uluguru Bushshrike (Malaconotus alius)
- Uluguru Greenbul (Arizelocichla neumanni)
- Uluguru Violet-backed Sunbird (Anthreptes neglectus)
- Umbrella Bird (Cephalopterus)
- Unadorned Flycatcher (Myiophobus inornatus)
- Undulated Antpitta (Grallaria squamigera)
- Undulated Antshrike (Frederickena unduliger)
- Undulated Tinamou (Crypturellus undulatus)
- Unicolored Antwren (Myrmotherula unicolor)
- Unicolored Blackbird (Agelasticus cyanopus)
- Unicolored Jay (Aphelocoma unicolor)
- Unicolored Tapaculo (Scytalopus unicolor)
- Unicolored Thrush (Turdus haplochrous)
- Uniform Antshrike (Thamnophilus unicolor)
- Uniform Crake (Amaurolimnas concolor)
- Uniform Finch (Haplospiza unicolor)
- Uniform Swiftlet (Aerodramus vanikorensis)
- Uniform Treehunter (Thripadectes ignobilis)
- Uniform Woodcreeper (Hylexetastes uniformis)
- Unspotted Saw-whet Owl (Aegolius ridgwayi)
- Unstreaked Tit-tyrant (Uromyias agraphia)
- Upcher’s Warbler (Hippolais languida)
- Upland Sandpiper (Bartramia longicauda)
- Upland Antshrike (Thamnophilus aroyae)
- Upland Buzzard (Buteo hemilasius)
- Upland Goose (Chloephaga picta)
- Upland Pipit (Anthus sylvanus)
- Upland Sandpiper (Bartramia longicauda)
- Ural Owl (Strix uralensis)
- Urich’s Tyrannulet (Phyllomyias urichi)
- Urrao Antpitta (Grallaria urraoensis)
- Ursula’s Sunbird (Cinnyris ursulae)
- Usambara Akalat (Sheppardia montana)
- Usambara Double-collared Sunbird (Cinnyris usambaricus)
- Usambara Eagle-owl (Bubo poensis vosseleri)
- Usambara Hyliota (Hyliota usambara)
- Usambara Thrush (Turdus roehli)
- Usambara Weaver (Ploceus nicolli)
- Ussher’s Flycatcher (Muscicapa ussheri)
Dogs that Start with the letter U
Most dog breeds are brought into the dog world for some sort of working purpose; rather that’s herding livestock or hunting a smaller creature. But the Utonagan dog was actually bred to be an all-loving, fluffy, and wonderful companion for families. With a combination of an Alaskan Malamute, German Shepherd, and a Siberian Husky this pup definitely has the brains to take on a task if it’s probably trained, but to its core this is a sweetheart. (5) How wholesome!
- Ultimate Mastiff (Neapolitan Mastiff Dogue de Bordeaux)
- Utonagan (German Shepherd, Siberian Husky, Alaskan Malamute)
Fish that Start with the letter U
If you’re wondering Do they really swim up-side down like that? the answer is a fascinating YES! Oddly enough these interesting fish swim up-side down, makes you wonder how they must be experiencing their fishy lives compared to others swimming around them! For the most part, besides their directional preferences, they are fairly normal with other fish. (6)
- Uaru (Uaru fernandezyepezi)
- Unicorn Fish (Naso brevirostris)
- Upside-down Catfish (Synodontis nigriventris)
Insects that Start with the letter U
The Underwing Moth, as you may have guessed, is hiding its beauty underneath it’s wings which you can see in the photo above. Typically Moths exhibit dull like colors so they are able to blend into the trees that they rest on. This much is true for the Underwing Moth, but when it takes for the skies the beautiful vibrant colors are on full display. A tactic used to distract or alert potential prey to stay away, but also they’re just so pretty! (7)
- Ulysses Butterfly (Papilio ulysses)
- Underwing Moths (Catocala)
- Unlined Giant Chafer (Amphimallon majale)
- Uncas Skipper (Hesperia uncas)
- Uzi fly (Exorista sorbillans)
Mammals that Start with the letter U
There are quite a few little critters scurrying around on this list of Mammals that start with the letter U, and there’s one that’s not only exclusive in origin, but also their mating season.
The Utah Prairie Dog is, you guessed it all you Sherlock Holmeses, native to the state of Utah. There must be something about those plains! Though you can only find the Utah Prairie Dog in Utah, the male Utah Prairie Dogs have a hard time finding a date. This is because the female Utah Prairie Dogs are only opened-minded to mating 1 day out of the entire year. (8) Those male Utah Prairie Dogs better come with flowers and chocolates if they want to stand out amongst the crowd!
- Ucayali Spiny Mouse (Scolomys ucayalensis)
- Uganda Large-toothed Shrew (Crocidura mutesae)
- Ugandan Shrew (Crocidura tarella)
- Uinta Chipmunk (Tamias umbrinus)
- Uinta Ground Squirrel (Urocitellus armatus)
- Ultimate Shrew (Crocidura ultima)
- Umboi Tube-nosed Fruit Bat (Nyctimene vizcaccia)
- Unadorned Rock Wallaby (Petrogale inornata)
- Unalaska Collared Lemming (Dicrostonyx unalascensis)
- Underwood’s Bonneted Bat (Eumops underwoodi)
- Underwood’s Long-tongued Bat (Hylonycteris underwoodi)
- Underwood’s Pocket Gopher (Orthogeomys underwoodi)
- Underwood’s Water Mouse (Rheomys underwoodi)
- Unexpected Cotton Rat (Sigmodon inopinatus)
- Ungava Collared Lemming (Dicrostonyx hudsonius)
- Unicolored Arboreal Rice Rat (Oecomys concolor)
- Unicolored Oldfield Mouse (Thomasomys monochromos)
- Unicolored Tree Rat (Echimys unicolor)
- Unstriped Ground Squirrel (Xerus rutilus)
- Unstriped Tube-nosed Bat (Paranyctimene raptor)
- Ural Field Mouse (Apodemus uralensis)
- Urar Mouse-like Hamster (Calomyscus urartensis)
- Usambara Shrew (Crocidura usambarae)
- Ussuri Shrew (Sorex mirabilis)
- Ussuri Tube-nosed Bat (Murina ussuriensis)
- Utah Prairie Dog (Cynomys parvidens)
Reptiles that Start with the letter U
Pigs aren’t the only ones who enjoy basking in the earth’s mud, the Upemba Mud Turtle is claiming it’s spot in the mud pile too!
These turtles like to be in moist areas, which is why they commonly burrow themselves in the mud. Something interesting that the Upemba Mud Turtle is able to do is go into a sort of hibernation during times of drought where its food sources are low. Expect their version of hibernation is usually very hot instead of frigid cold and it is called Estivation. (9) To learn more about Estivation check out our Scientific Glossary!
- Upemba Mud Turtle (Pelusios upembae)
- Uribe’s False Cat-eyed Snake (Leptodeira uribei)
- Uromastyx Loricata (Saara loricata)
- Uzzell’s Lizard (Darevskia uzzelli)
That just about does it for this list of animals that start with letter U, but the animal fun isn’t done yet. Click on this link right here to our Animal Coloring Sheets to explore the variety of free and fun coloring pages that you can chill out and color to your heart’s desire. Who doesn’t love a nice kick back with some of your favorite coloring utensils and adorable pages?
Here is your very own easy-peasy scientific glossary that you can refer to in case a word looks peculiar to you. No one likes to have strange words thrown at them, especially if they’re left to scratch their heads and wonder what they just read. Not on our watch!
Genus: The usual major subdivision of a family or subfamily in the classification of organisms, usually consisting of more than one species. (1)
Species: The major subdivision of a genus or subgenus, regarded as the basic category of biological classification, composed of related individuals that resemble one another, are able to breed among themselves, but are not able to breed with members of another species. (2)
Estivation: An inactive state resembling deep sleep, in which some animals living in hot climates, such as certain snails, pass the summer. Estivation protects these animals against heat and dryness. Compare hibernation. (10)
3) “Upland Chorus Frog.” Florida Museum. Last modified November 30, 2020. Accessed August 30, 2022. https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/discover-herps/florida-frog-calls/upland-chorus-frog/.
4) “Umbrellabird facts: waddle the wattle.” YouTube Animal Fact Files. Accessed August 30, 2022. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKRtODqdwEU.
5) “Utonagan Dog Breed.” Dog-Learn Everything About Dogs. Accessed August 30, 2022. https://www.dog-learn.com/dog-breeds/utonagan/.
6) Yang, Alison. “Upside Down Catfish 101: Care, Size, Tank Mates.” Aquarium Source. Last modified May 6, 2020. Accessed August 30, 2022. https://www.aquariumsource.com/upside-down-catfish/.
7) “Five Facts about the Darling Underwing Moth.” YouTube urbanecologycenter. Accessed August 30, 2022. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUW0Ixr4Frk.
8) “Utah prairie dog.” Wild Earth Guardians . Accessed August 30, 2022. https://wildearthguardians.org/wildlife-conservation/endangered-species-list/mammals/utah-prairie-dog/.
9) “Creature Feature: Mud Turtle.” YouTube Mecklenburg County Government. Accessed August 30, 2022. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1DsUIXb3a4.
10) “Estivation”, Dictionary.com, https://www.dictionary.com/browse/estivation (accessed 08/30/2022)